Enjoy an evening of readings by the city’s top emerging writers
This spring, Inprint awarded 10 prizes ranging from $1,000 – $10,000 to students studying creative writing in Houston. Winners of these prizes will give short readings from their work, followed by a reception. Houstonians are invited to Brazos Bookstore for the reading and to meet these exciting young writers.
The 2019 Inprint Prize Winners include:
- Inprint Alexander Prize in Fiction – Rachel Ballenger
- Inprint Marion Barthelme Prize in Creative Writing – Alex McElroy
- Inprint Verlaine Prize in Poetry – Carolann Madden (unable to attend reading)
- Inprint Marion Barthelme Prize in Creative Writing at Rice University – Megan Carlier
- Inprint Donald Barthelme Prizes in Fiction – Onyinye Ihezukwu and Kaj Tanaka
- Inprint Donald Barthelme Prize in Nonfiction – Brendan Stephens
- Inprint Donald Barthelme Prizes in Poetry – Erika Jo Brown and Paige Quiñones (unable to attend reading)
- Inprint Marion Barthelme Gulf Coast Prize – Justin Jannise (unable to attend reading)
Inprint has been proud to support the next generation of creative writers through annual fellowships and juried prizes for graduate students at the University of Houston Creative Writing Program and an annual prize for an undergraduate at Rice University. This year alone Inprint has provided $198,500 in direct support to these students, and since 1983, Inprint’s support of 500+ emerging writers has totaled more than $4 million. Recipients of these fellowships and prizes come from all parts of the world and have gone on to impact our local and national communities through teaching, writing, publishing, and more.